Windyhill

Kilmacolm (1898 - 1901)

‘An essay into the room as a work of art...'

Charles Rennie Mackintosh created only three complete homes in his lifetime. Windyhill, built in 1900 and 1901, was his first.

It is described as “a treasure of international significance” by Michael Hall, the editor of art and antiques magazine Apollo. “It was Mackintosh’s first essay into the room as a work of art,” says Pamela Robertson, senior curator at the Hunterian art gallery and museum in Glasgow.

The grade ‘A’ listed building, constructed using natural stone from the surrounding area, has three public rooms, seven bedrooms, two bathrooms and a reception area.

Windyhill has never been shown in public at any time since it was built in 1900 and has regularly been expertly restored to integrate its original features with the demands of modern living through different eras.

The house has remained closely linked to the practice and was owned in the 1990’s by former SBT Keppie Chairman, Jim Fisher.
The interior shows many of the design features, materials and colours that made Mackintosh famous throughout the world. Of particular note is the magnificent staircase and hallway, featuring coloured and leaded glass constructed by Mackintosh’s wife, Margaret.

Windyhill also featured beautifully considered private gardens, which are still overlooked onto the countryside from the main south facing rooms The gardens integrated a lily pond with shrubs and ornamental trees.

Mackintosh originally designed the house for his friend and loyal patron William Davidson, who purchased Windyhill for the modest price of £2500 and lived there until 1937.

According to legend, Mackintosh had to be thrown into the lily pond by his friend when his beard accidentally caught fire as he was laying presents around the tree while dressed as Father Christmas.

<< BACK